From www.TopSecretRecipes.com I found this recipe a while back but cannot remember from where. It included the french bread part but I cannot get my hands on it? but for now, here's the Cinnamon Sauce and Cream Cheese icing. Just put on top of your favorite french toast recipe or pancakes. It'll be good for approximately 8 french toast pieces. It's really delicious!
- 1⁄4 cup butter (salted)
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half, divided use
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- TO PREPARE THE CINNAMON SAUCE: Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add brown sugar, 2 tablespoons half-and-half, cinnamon, salt, and cloves and cook while stirring constantly until mixture comes to a simmer. Immediately remove from heat, add remaining tablespoon of half-and-half and stir in flour.
- TO PREPARE THE CREAM CHEESE ICING: Combine ingredients for cream cheese icing in a medium bowl. Beat on low speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spoon icing into a squirt bottle.
- TO ASSEMBLE YOUR DISH: Spread about a tablespoon of cinnamon sauce on top of each pancake, or on each slice of French toast as you stack them. A typical serving at the restaurant is two pancakes or two slices of French toast. Drizzle cream cheese icing over the top, and finish off your stack with a dollop of whipped cream.
This was really good! I used it with the IHOP buttermilk pancake recipe and I would give it 10 stars if I could. Thanks for sharing!
My family would like to rate this at a 10!! Oh my gosh what a great treat for breakfast! The cinnamon sauce is creamy and just enough cinnamon flavor. I only had unsalted butter but it didnt seem to take away from the flavor. For the cream cheese icing I used whipped cream cheese and it was so easy to put together. My french toast was country white bread with a dip of two eggs and cream. I made 8 pieces of french toast and had a bit of sauce and icing left for maybe another 2 servings. I think raisin bread would be wonderful for the french toast too. Thank you so much for posting!! Made and reviewed for PAC 2008.