Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Zambia's version of the Greens in Peanut Sauce found all over Central and Southern Africa, Ifisashi, is usually a vegetarian greens and peanuts dish. However, meat can be added if any is handy. Ifisashi is traditionally served with Nshima, It's like polenta.
- 1 -2 cup raw peanuts, shelled and skins removed (or natural unsweetened peanut butter)
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 -3 lbs collard greens, pumpkin leaves, sweet potato leaves (or similar)
- salt (to taste)
- cooked cabbage (optional)
- leftover cooked beef, chicken (optional) or fish (optional)
- Grind, chop, or pound peanuts into a fine powder. (Or you can start with natural, sugar-free peanut butter.).
- Bring a few cups of water to a boil in a large pot and add the peanuts, tomatoes, and onion.
- Cook on high heat for several minutes, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in greens, add salt.
- Cover and cook for 15 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally. (Cooking time varies by type of greens used).
- Add water if mixture becomes dry and starts to scorch.
- Continue cooking until greens and peanuts are reduced to a thick sauce. Adjust seasoning and add optional ingredients if desired.
- Serve hot.