Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My husband loves to experiment in the kitchen, and he almost always comes up with something wonderful. Well... this is his most recent. It is the perfect meal to put in the crock pot late Saturday night for after church on Sunday.
- 3 large carrots
- 3 medium potatoes
- 2 celery ribs
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 1⁄4 ounces dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon instant beef bouillon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -3 lbs beef shoulder
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons instant minced garlic
- Coarsely chop carrots, potatoes and celery.
- Place them in the bottom of your crock pot.
- Heat oil in frying pan.
- Add water, dry soup mix, and bouillon to crock pot.
- Brown roast in hot oil.
- Place roast on top of vegetables in the crock pot.
- Pour soy sauce over roast.
- Rub garlic on the roast.
- Set crock pot on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5 hours.
This is not a bad recipe, however, I think the measurement listed for the garlic is incorrect - I think it should be 2 TEASPOONS, not TABLESPOONS! The garlic masked the flavor of the onion soup. I will make this again, and cut back the garlic. My husband and I like garlic, but as the recipe currently is, it's just too much.
I made this all day while at work . . . the house smelled divine!! I followed the instructions but boosted the water up to 3/4c to 1 cup. I also couldn't find the beef shoulder at my grocery store, so I used 3 lbs of beef butt (I think) and just cooked it with the fatty side up. I came home after letting it cook for 10 hours and the meat fell apart (was a little dry, but not enough to make a difference) and the smell was slightly sweet but deliciously savory. Awesome recipe and one that I'll be sure to hang onto. Thanks for sharing it! :-)