Recipe by BothFex
My friend Kathie made this when I last visited her. I immediately asked for the recipe. When I went to make it I found I was lacking some of the ingredients so I had to improvise. Both versions are good so I have posted Kathie's original instructions and then my alterations in parenthesis. Let me know which one works for you.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (I used less, a couple T.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used less, a couple T.)
- 1 2⁄3 onions, diced (her instructions don't indicate cups or whole onions- I didn't have any onions so it didn,t matter.)
- 3 1⁄4 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3 t. minced garlic)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped (I didn't have any apricots and so used dried mango)
- 1 tablespoon dried apricot, chopped (I didn't have any apricots and so used dried mango)
- 2 1⁄2 cups red lentils (I used 1 1/2 c. brown lentils and 1 1/2 c. Le Puy lentils)
- 8 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (I used 9 c. water with chicken bouillon added)
- 5 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (I used 30 cherry tomatoes- just threw 'em in the pot, skin, seeds and all)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (I upped it to 1/2 t.)
- salt and pepper (I used white pepper and Hawaiian black sea salt- careful not to over salt as boullion is salty)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (I used 3 T. cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used 3 T. cider vinegar)
Directions See How It's Made
- Kathie's instructions: saute onions, garlic, and apricots till onions are translucent.
- Add lentils and stock and bring to a boil. Then drop heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, puree 1/2 the soup, return to the pot and serve.
- My instructions: saute dried onions, chives, mangoes, cumin, thyme, tomatoes, and salt and pepper in oil until fragrant. Watch garlic to keep from browning.
- Add lentils and bouillon-water and bring to a boil, drop heat and simmer 40 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar then puree all the tomatoes (they'll float to the top of the soup) and 1/2 the soup. Return to the pot then serve.