Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My friend Kathie made this when I last visited her. I immediately asked for the recipe. When I went to make it I found I was lacking some of the ingredients so I had to improvise. Both versions are good so I have posted Kathie's original instructions and then my alterations in parenthesis. Let me know which one works for you.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil (I used less, a couple T.)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (I used less, a couple T.)
- 1 2⁄3 onions, diced (her instructions don't indicate cups or whole onions- I didn't have any onions so it didn,t matter.)
- 3 1⁄4 garlic cloves, minced (I used 3 t. minced garlic)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped (I didn't have any apricots and so used dried mango)
- 1 tablespoon dried apricot, chopped (I didn't have any apricots and so used dried mango)
- 2 1⁄2 cups red lentils (I used 1 1/2 c. brown lentils and 1 1/2 c. Le Puy lentils)
- 8 1⁄2 cups chicken stock (I used 9 c. water with chicken bouillon added)
- 5 roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (I used 30 cherry tomatoes- just threw 'em in the pot, skin, seeds and all)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme (I upped it to 1/2 t.)
- salt and pepper (I used white pepper and Hawaiian black sea salt- careful not to over salt as boullion is salty)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (I used 3 T. cider vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (I used 3 T. cider vinegar)
- Kathie's instructions: saute onions, garlic, and apricots till onions are translucent.
- Add lentils and stock and bring to a boil. Then drop heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, cumin, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 10 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, puree 1/2 the soup, return to the pot and serve.
- My instructions: saute dried onions, chives, mangoes, cumin, thyme, tomatoes, and salt and pepper in oil until fragrant. Watch garlic to keep from browning.
- Add lentils and bouillon-water and bring to a boil, drop heat and simmer 40 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar then puree all the tomatoes (they'll float to the top of the soup) and 1/2 the soup. Return to the pot then serve.
The ratings and reviews on this site only get approved if you give it three stars or more. You're not allowed to critique the recipes, which is a not a true representation.