Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 lb American cheese or 1 lb cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked until just al dente, drained
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Melt 1 stick of butter in a saucepan. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the milk and cook until heated through. Add the cheese gradually, stirring constantly, until it is melted and the sauce is smooth. Place the macaroni in the prepared baking dish. Pour the cheese mixture over the macaroni and stir to coat the macaroni evenly.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add the bread crumbs and sauté until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top of the mixture is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Let the macaroni sit for 15 minutes before serving.
I was concerned that while i was making it because it the mixture didn't turn out to to be a smooth cheesy rue. Do we need flour to make sure it mixes? I ended up with cheese curds at the bottom with milk and the butter floating on top. I made this for a group of folks adn the boy was an avid mac and cheeser. Once I baked it all and the milk evaporated it just didn't look like mac and cheese but folks like the taste of the onion.
So much better than boxed macaroni and cheese! I used the shredded cheddar and added a little more breadcrumbs. Nice recipe, thank you for posting.