Recipe by Linda's Busy Kitchen
This quiche is WONDERFUL!! The consistency is like a creamy custard with DELICIOUS asparagus and mushrooms, onions and cheese... Who could ask for more :) You may use a prepared crust for this recipe.
quiche pastry dough
- 3 cups flour
- 4 1⁄2 ounces butter, chilled
- 2 1⁄2 ounces shortening, chilled
- 6 -8 tablespoons ice water
- 1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs, well blended
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
pie filling mixture
- 1 lb asparagus, cleaned trimmed, and sliced into 1-inch lengths
- 1⁄3 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons thyme, crushed
- 6 ounces swiss cheese, grated
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Quiche Pastry:.
- Measure the flour, and put into the bowl of a food processor.
- Add small pieces of butter and shortening. Blend by hitting pulse button on the machine once every few secs., until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add water, and let continue to process until the mixture rolls into a ball, about 1 minute.
- The pastry can be rolled into a crust.
- A pan with a removable bottom is preferred, but not necessary. Use a 10" pan.
- Place parchment paper on the bottom of the quiche shell. Use pie weights or pinto beans sprinkled over the paper to keep the shell.
- from rising.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375, for 15-18 minutes.
- If the shell is transparent on the bottom, it is not done. Bake until the shell is no longer transparent. Cool, and remove the.
- Quiche Custard:.
- Blend all custard ingredients well, and set aside.
- Pie Filling Mixture:.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan. Add the asparagus, mushrooms, onions, and garlic.
- Cook on high heat for 3-5 mins., turning.
- frequently to keep from burning.
- Add the thyme, and stir well. Remove from the heat and cool.
- Once cooled, combine the asparagus mixture with the grated cheeses, and mix well.
- To Assemble And Bake:.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix the quiche filling and custard together,.
- and pour carefully into the crust. Leave approximately 1/4" rim at the top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes Check for doneness by moving the pan.
- If the filling "wiggles", bake another 5 minutes When done, let it cool completely.