Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
Most peaple think this is the best thing we do with our Idaho potatoes! You can't resist these light, fluffy, yummy treats!! Prep time includes time for rising. Fry a few at a time for about 2-3 minutes per side. An electric skillet works well to fry them.
- 1 lb idaho russet potato, peeled and quartered
- 2 packages yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm milk (112 degrees)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 1⁄2 cups flour
- oil (for deep frying)
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cook potatoes in water until tender.
- Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the water.
- Set the 1/2 cup water aside.
- Cool to 110 degrees.
- Mash potatoes well.
- In lg bowl, dissolve yeast in reserved cooking water.
- Add mashed potatoes, milk, oil, sugar, eggs and salt.
- Add enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Place in greased bowl, turn to grease top.
- Cover and let rise for 1 hour, until doubled.
- Punch down, let rise again until doubled, about 25 minutes.
- Roll out on floured surface to 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut with floured cutter.
- Heat oil to 375*.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Mix water and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Add vanilla.
- Dip warm doughnuts in glaze.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Try not to eat all of them at once!
I used 2 cups of instant mashed potatoes and they tasted great! It cut the prep time! Doughnuts should be in the recipe title so that it could be easily found.