A very yummy chili type stew that I grew up with. Nothing's better than delicous flavour in a short amount of time. The red lentils become part of the stew's base, in effect thickening it. This stew is excellent served with cornbread. Originally from "Fast Fixin' Kid's Recipes".
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, undrained (chickpeas)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dried red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1 " strips
- 1 tablespoon minced dried onion
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon or 1 teaspoon vegetarian beef bouillon powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer 30 minutes, or till lentils are tender.
- Stir occasionally.