Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An easy to make chicken casserole that fills the tummy...
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 4 idaho potatoes, size depends on how much potato you want
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken, cooked and cut up
- Melt butter.
- Add onion and celery; cook until tender.
- Blend in flour, stir in milk.
- Cook until sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir in lemon juice, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper.
- Add chicken and marjoram, remove from heat.
- Thin slice the potatoes.
- Place potatoes in greased 1 1/2 quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with rest of the salt.
- Pour chicken sauce over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cover and bake at 400 for one hour or until potatoes are done.
- Instead of marjoram, I used Italian Seasoning and I added the liquid I simmered the chicken in into the sauce mix so it needed some extra thickening.
- the more potatoes you add, the larger the casserole dish needs to be and a longer baking time is needed.
Just took this dish out of the oven. Always prepared an early dinner for my students on Wed. cause three belong to a Hip Hop club. They asked for something easy to digest but will hold their hunger at bay. Well, it's not even 4:30, & I have to hold them out of the kitchen! The smell is so tantalizing! So, okay, I did some tasting behind their backs, and I love it! I did the same as you, SooZee, and used the Italian seasonings. This will become a regular at my house...so easy to make!