Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
It's a good hearty soup, that can be changed a bit to suit your own tastes. This is my husbands grand mothers recipe. Doesn't freeze well but microwaves just fine
- 6 medium potatoes
- 1⁄3 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup carrot, chopped (i use asparagus)
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 quart milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons parsley (i use rosemary or savory)
- First peel and cube the potatoes and boil them till tender, drain and then mash half of them in a separate bowl.
- In a 3 to 4 qt pot saute celery, carrots, and onion in the butter till tender or to your liking.
- Then stir in flour slowly until smooth, (you may need to add more butter).
- Then slowly add the milk and cook till it has thickened.
- Add bullion, parsley, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer mixture about 20 minutes
- Then add all the potatoes and simmer another 20 minutes.
This was sooo good. JUST what I was looking for -- a hearty, chunky potato soup. Even DH, who isn't a soup man (and not even a boiled-potato man) gave it 5 stars! YEA!! But he was concerned: "It's got a LOT of cream in it, doesn't it." :-) It has a lovely creamy taste to it. I substituted cabbage for the celery and used Italian Seasoning instead of parsley. Delicious! Thank you!