Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs
These slushy, potent cocktails are easy to make in batches. They're also ideal for parties because most of the preparation can be done in advance. Thanks to Tyler Florence, TV Food Network!
- 3 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 cups crushed ice
- 2 cups vodka
- 8 mint sprigs, for garnish
- In a small saucepan, combine the sliced ginger with the water and sugar and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, then let the ginger syrup cool slightly. Transfer to a blender and puree. Strain the syrup into a large, shallow glass dish. Stir in the lemon zest and juice. Cover and freeze the lemon-ginger syrup until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Let the frozen lemon-ginger mixture stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Chop the mixture into large pieces. Put half of the pieces in a blender, add 4 cups of crushed ice and 1 cup of vodka and blend until slushy. Pour the vodka cocktail into 4 glasses, garnish each with a mint sprig and serve. Repeat with the remaining frozen lemon mixture, ice, vodka and mint sprigs. Serve at once.
- MAKE AHEAD The lemon-ginger mixture can be frozen for up to 1 week.
- Cooking Club Tip: Peel ginger's thin and delicate skin by scraping down the root with a metal teaspoon. A spoon maneuvers around the nubs more easily than a pairing knife.
This was quite the hit and my sunday afternoon Cookie Lee party. We were begging for more. NO hangover ..... bonus.
These drinks are sooo good. Thank you so much for sharing seahorse. I will be making these often this summer. This quick and easy to make drink is light and refreshing. Please note this drink packs quite the punch. I love the combination of lemon and ginger together. It was a very very tasty slushy....kudos on the simplicity.