Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese Sauce Base
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (either buy them or remove the crust off of some old bread and shop fine in a food processor)
- 1⁄4 lb finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
Molten Cheese Sauce
- 8 ounces pasturized process cheese (1 inch cubes, Velveeta Cheese)
- 1⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
Mix for Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3⁄4 lb sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 lb gruyere
- 1⁄2 lb extra sharp white cheddar cheese
- 4 roma tomatoes, diced fine
- 24 ounces pasturized process cheese (1 inch cubes, Velveeta Cheese)
- For the Macaroni and Cheese Sauce Base: Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepot over medium high heat. Add flour and mix until flour is incorporated into butter. Cook, stirring frequently for 2 minutes. Add milk and chicken broth and continue to cook until sauce is thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and season with mustard, hot pepper sauce, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Allow to cool before using.
- For the Topping: Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- For the Molten Cheese Sauce: Take about 1/2 cup of the sauce base and warm over a medium burner in a small saucepan. When warm, add cheese and cook until melted. Season as necessary.
- To make the Macaroni and Cheese: Cook macaroni in salted water, drain and rinse with cold water. Place the yellow cheddar, Gruyere, white cheddar, tomatoes, and pasteurized prepared cheese product in a large mixing bowl. Add 3/4 of the macaroni and cheese sauce base or about 2 1/2 cups, and mix thoroughly. Place the mix evenly into 4 small casserole dishes or 1 large serving plate. Sprinkle with topping and bake in a preheated 400-degree oven until hot and bubbly. Make sure to serve lots of molten cheese sauce.