Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
Adapted from The Complete Round the World Meat Cookbook. You can also make this with round. Water can be substituted for beef broth.
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- Cover lentils with boiling water. Let soak while preparing meat.
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Brown beef and onions.
- Add garlic, broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hour.
- Drain lentils.
- Add lentils and oregano to pot.
- Cover and cook 30 minutes longer, or until meat and lentils are tender.