Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
A vegan form of the Scottish Haggis. Crisp and tasty and full of desirable flavor. A sure win!
- 100 g onions, peeled & finely chopped
- 15 ml sunflower oil
- 50 g carrots, very finely chopped
- 35 g mushrooms, finely chopped
- 50 g red lentils
- 600 ml vegetable stock
- 25 g mashed tinned red kidney beans
- 35 g ground peanuts
- 25 g ground hazelnuts
- 30 ml shoyu (soy sauce)
- 15 ml lemon juice
- 7 1⁄2 ml dried thyme
- 5 ml dried rosemary
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 7 1⁄2 ml mixed spice
- 200 g fine oatmeal
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 375°F or Gas Mark 5.
- Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, then add the carrot and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Now add the lentils and three quarters of the stock.
- Blend the mashed red kidney beans in the remaining stock, add these to the pan with the nuts, shoyu, lemon juice and seasonings.
- Cook everything, well mixed together, for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
- Then add the oatmeal, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes, adding a little extra liquid if necessary.
- Turn the mixture into a lightly oiled 1lb loaf tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed neeps and tatties.