Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
These cookies are baked for Christmas in every home in Iceland.
Top Review by vglago
I followed this recipe exactly and it did not work. The cookie dough never chilled enough to be rolled properly - with or without flour on the surface. I tried making them as drop cookies and they just spread out and stuck to the pan. The cookie "parts" that I was able to save tasted very greasy.
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 small eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Stir in corn syrup and eggs; cream well. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and pepper. Add dry ingredients to the butter mixture, and mix until smooth. Refrigerate dough over night.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (175ºC).
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out cookies with a 2-inch round cookie cutter. Place at least 1 inch apart on cookie sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven.