Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This Icelandic dessert is traditional served with afternoon coffee or after a meal. I like them for brunch, too.
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- preserves or jam or jelly
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a bowl, mix together the milk, egg yolks, butter, and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and mix into the liquids until blended. Beat the egg whites and fold into the mixture.
- Heat a heavy skillet until a drop of water bounces off the surface. Butter the skillet. Bake thin pancakes using 1/4 cup batter per cake until browned on both sides.
- Spread with preserves, jam, or jelly, and whipped cream sweetened with powdered sugar. Fold into triangles and serve immediately. Makes 10 to 12 pancakes.
- The Great Scandinavian Baking Book .B. Ojakangas.