Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The recipe says "Like a good marriage, this rhubarb-filled cake gets even better with age". This is more like a bar cookie than a cake, though.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Butter or grease a 9-inch cake or pie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown and white sugar, and baking soda. Cut in the butter (as you would for pie crust); with a pastry blender or with your hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Beat in one egg and vanilla extract.
- Press 2/3 of the cake dough into the bottom of the pan. Spread the rhubarb jam evenly over the layer, then crumble remaining dough over top of cake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Slice and serve.