Recipe by Outta Here
The recipe says "Like a good marriage, this rhubarb-filled cake gets even better with age". This is more like a bar cookie than a cake, though.
Top Review by twissis
Made for your Wk 1 Football Pool win & I made an error w/your recipe. Made & tasted late yesterday, I decided a pic could wait til today. When DH's brother joined us for brunch late this morning & we devoured the remains, it was too late for a pic. So I will comment B4 I make it again for us to enjoy & for your pic. The prep was a rocky road. Made as written using my homemade jam, the dough was too moist to crumble over the surface & had to be spread there. It was baked in a 9-in pie plate, but overflowed the pie plate & had to be cooked an extra 10 min B4 removal from the oven. It was jiggling at that point, but brown & crusty on the surface. That said, this is very sweet & these are chgs I will make for its encore: 1) Use a larger baking dish, 2) Reduce the butter to ¾ cup, 3) Reduce both sugars to 1/3 cup ea, 4) Reduce the rhubarb jam to ½ cup & 5) Use half the dough on the bottom & half on the surface. That is a lot of chg, I know, but this recipe is a very worthy keeper w/these chgs IMHO. Thx for sharing this taste sensation & IOU a pic for your recipe. :-)
- 1 cup quick oatmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup rhubarb jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°. Butter or grease a 9-inch cake or pie pan.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, flour, brown and white sugar, and baking soda. Cut in the butter (as you would for pie crust); with a pastry blender or with your hands, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Beat in one egg and vanilla extract.
- Press 2/3 of the cake dough into the bottom of the pan. Spread the rhubarb jam evenly over the layer, then crumble remaining dough over top of cake.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Slice and serve.