1/1 Photo of Icelandic Asparagus & Ham Bake
This tasty & versatile dish is very popular in Iceland & uses common ingredients. It is ideal for a brunch, luncheon entree or potluck occasion & also works for a dinner meal when combined w/a salad & crusty bread. Another popular variation skips the use of bread + the reserved liquids & combines the remaining ingredients to use as a filling for tartlet shells that can be served as a starter course or brunch & luncheon entree ... hence its versatility. I hope you will give this dish a try & enjoy it as we do here in Iceland. :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices sandwich bread (white or wheat, lrg size & not thin-sliced, cut or torn in roughly 3/4 in pieces)
- 2 eggs
- 14 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/2 lb ham (diced, Deli-type pkg is fine & a larger or smaller amt is fine as well)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushrooms (stems & pieces, chopped, drained & liquid reserved)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can asparagus (cut spears, drained & liquid reserved)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (finely shredded)
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C) w/oven rack placed in the center position of the oven.
- 2Lightly grease a 9-in rd baking dish (or spray w/PAM type spray) & set aside.
- 3Place cut or torn bread pieces in a lrg mixing bowl & add liquid reserved from draining the mushrooms & asparagus.
- 4Allow bread/liquid mixture to sit for a short time while liquid is absorbed & stir as needed (May add milk if more liquid is required to completely moisten the bread pieces, but it is unlikely to be needed.).
- 5Add eggs to bread mixture & mix well.
- 6Add cream cheese, ham, mayo, mushrooms & asparagus to the bread mixture & mix very well to combine (This will break up the asparagus pieces & is what you want to happen).
- 7Pour mixture into baking dish. Sprinkle surface evenly w/shredded cheddar cheese & use your hand to press it lightly into the surface.
- 8Bake for 30-40 min or till golden brown & tests done using a sharp knife in the center. Tent w/foil as needed during baking if browning faster than expected. Serve at once or set aside at rm temp & reheat in microwave as needed.
- 9NOTE: Seasonings of choice can be added to suit individual preferences (esp pepper & garlic). My experience was the combo of canned mushrooms & asparagus + the reserved liquid used + the ham meant that no added salt was needed.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Icelandic Asparagus & Ham Bake
Serving Size: 1 (183 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 366.5
- Calories from Fat 251
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 15.3 g
- Cholesterol 138.9 mg
- Sodium 825.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 17.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: