Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
These have more of a cake texture. Very nice and light with a mild orange flavor, they are good with or without the icing. Great with tea.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- orange paste food coloring (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in orange juice and peel.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over cooled cookies.