Recipe by Amis
This is a nice dessert sauce that's great over puddings and cakes. May also be served heated. Note: This is alchoholic and not reccomended for children. If you do wish to serve it for children, boil the wine first.
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 2 egg whites
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the wine & OJ and freeze until semi formed.
- Remove from freezer and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy & set aside.
- Combine the boiling water and sugar; stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Pour the syrup slowly over the egg whites. Set the container of the combined egg whites & syrup into a pan of salted ice-water; stir until cold. Add the syrup to the wine.
- Pour it over the pudding and serve.
- Note: To serve heated instead of chilled, do not freeze the wine & juice. Instead, combine it with the sugar water and bring to a boil. Then combine with the egg whites. Set the container of the combined egg whites & syrup into a pan of salted ice water; stir until cold. Slowly reheat until the desired temperature is reached.