Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 37 mins
These are good with tea or a fruit compote.
Make and share this Iced Lemon Shortbread Fingers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- Line the pan with aluminum foil, letting the foil overhang two opposing sides of the pan by about 2 inches.
- In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour and cornstarch, set aside.
- In a food processor, process the powdered sugar, sugar and lemon zest until the sugar is yellow and zest if finely pulverized, about 3 minutes.stopping and scraping down the bowl several times. Add the butter, salt, lemon juice and lemon extract and process until well blended and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour mixture over the butter mixture and process in on/off pulse until well blended and smooth, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl several times.
- Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap, pat the dough into a 6" disk. Fold the wrap around the dough.
- Refrigerate for 20-23 minutes or until doguh is cool and slightly firmer.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Press the dough evenly into the pan. lay a sheet of wax paper on the dough, then press it out the the edges until the top is smooth and flat.
- Peel off and discard the paper.
- Bake in the middle of the oven 37-40 minutes or until pale golden all over and just slightly darker at the edges.
- Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until completely cooled.
- Using the overhanging foil as handles, transfer the shortbread to a cutting board. Carefully peel off and discard the foil.
- For the icing: In a food processor, combine the sugar, and lemon zest and process until the sugar is lightly colored and zest is finely pulverized. about 1 minutes, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl.
- Add enough water a few drops at a time to yield a fluid but not runny icing.
- Immediately spread the icing evenly over the shortbread.
- Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Using a large sharp knife, trim off and discard the uneven edges, work carefully, the shortbread is slightly crumbly.
- Wipe the knife clean between cuts.
- Cut into 24 fingers -- using a table knife or spatula, carefully separate and lift the fingers, let stand, slightly separated until the icing completely sets, about 1 hour.
- Store in a single layer or layered with wax paper in an airtight container for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 1 month.