These are good with tea or a fruit compote.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup butter, slightly softened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1Lightly grease a 9-inch square pan or coat with nonstick spray.
- 2Line the pan with aluminum foil, letting the foil overhang two opposing sides of the pan by about 2 inches.
- 3In a medium bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour and cornstarch, set aside.
- 4In a food processor, process the powdered sugar, sugar and lemon zest until the sugar is yellow and zest if finely pulverized, about 3 minutes.stopping and scraping down the bowl several times. Add the butter, salt, lemon juice and lemon extract and process until well blended and fluffy, about 1 minute.
- 5Sprinkle the flour mixture over the butter mixture and process in on/off pulse until well blended and smooth, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl several times.
- 6Turn the dough out onto a large sheet of plastic wrap, pat the dough into a 6" disk. Fold the wrap around the dough.
- 7Refrigerate for 20-23 minutes or until doguh is cool and slightly firmer.
- 8Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- 9Press the dough evenly into the pan. lay a sheet of wax paper on the dough, then press it out the the edges until the top is smooth and flat.
- 10Peel off and discard the paper.
- 11Bake in the middle of the oven 37-40 minutes or until pale golden all over and just slightly darker at the edges.
- 12Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let stand until completely cooled.
- 13Using the overhanging foil as handles, transfer the shortbread to a cutting board. Carefully peel off and discard the foil.
- 14For the icing: In a food processor, combine the sugar, and lemon zest and process until the sugar is lightly colored and zest is finely pulverized. about 1 minutes, stopping and scraping down sides of bowl.
- 15Add enough water a few drops at a time to yield a fluid but not runny icing.
- 16Immediately spread the icing evenly over the shortbread.
- 17Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 18Using a large sharp knife, trim off and discard the uneven edges, work carefully, the shortbread is slightly crumbly.
- 19Wipe the knife clean between cuts.
- 20Cut into 24 fingers -- using a table knife or spatula, carefully separate and lift the fingers, let stand, slightly separated until the icing completely sets, about 1 hour.
- 21Store in a single layer or layered with wax paper in an airtight container for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Iced Lemon Shortbread Fingers
Serving Size: 1 (28 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 126.0
- Calories from Fat 52
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 65.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 0.8 g