Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Light and addictive--family favorites! I'm not sure where the recipe comes from, but these certainly are good:)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- COOKIES: Cream the butter and sugar together using an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy.
- Beat in the egg and lemon zest.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- Stir in the poppy seeds with the mixer on low speed.
- Drop dough by heaping teaspoon 2" apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until edges are lightly golden.
- Cool on sheets for 1 minute; transfer cookies to wire racks and cool completely.
- GLAZE: Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl; mix well.
- Drizzle glaze over cookies in a random or decorative pattern; let stand until glaze is set, about 20 minutes.
These cookies are perfect with iced tea and hot weather! The combination of lemony sweet cookie and tart glaze is wonderful. I got a bit "zesty", so mine were a bit more tangy. We loved these, and thank you for sharing.
These are my new favorite cookie - light, lemony and delicious!! I made the recipe as written - no changes and they were perfect. Thanks for sharing.
I made these today but changed some stuff... Let me first say tho that the kids really liked them.
Okay, so I doubled the recipe and used 12 packets of Splenda and 3 T of honey instead of the granulated sugar. It was really thick so I used 3 eggs instead of 2 (in the double batter recipe). It was still thick enough that i literally used my hands and kneaded the batter Seeing that they didn't spread at all, the next tray I pressed them down a bit and basicly molded a cookie shape. They were perfect. Not too sweet, not too lemony, just really good. And again, the kids thought they were great with no sugar! :) I'll post a pic if I can.
thanks JDG for the recipe!