Prep 4 hrs
Cook 10 mins
For the best flavor, use a good quality, imported bitter-sweet chocolate. From Bon Appetit.
- 3 3⁄4 cups whole milk
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 6 ounces imported bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened)
- 12 ice cubes
- Bring 3 cups of milk, 1/3 cup water, and sugar to a simmer in heavy large saucepan, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth.
- Refrigerate until well chilled, about 4 hours (Can be made one day ahead. Cover and keep refridgerated).
- Mix 3/4 cup milk into chocolate mixture.
- Working in batches, blend until frothy.
- Divide ice among 4 glasses.
- Pour Chocolate mixture over and serve.
I omitted the sugar and it turned out great.
Alert! Alert! Please try this sweet, icy summertime pick-me-up and you won't be sorry. Kids from 67 years to 18 months loved it. I brought this over to my daughter's house today for a beat the heat treat. We were ooohhhing and aaaahing so much that the kids wanted some too, and we diluted small glassfuls for them to share. Everyone showed their approval with chocolate mustaches and smiles. Take a bow, Bev, for this innovative, fun drink.