Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
These cookies are so soft and the citrus flavor is so unique. I hope you love these tender cookies as much as my family does! A perfect summer afternoon treat with your lemonade!
- 7 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- In a small mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together; beat in egg.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another separate bowl, combine honey, yogurt, lemon peel and lemon extract.
- Alternate between adding the dry ingredients and the honey mixture to the creamed mixture; mix until well blended.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls, 2-inches apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until a light golden color; remove to wire racks.
- For the icing, in a small bowl combine the confectioners' sugar and lemon juice until smooth.
- Brush over the warm cookies and sprinkle with the grated lemon peel.
Very nice cookie! Neither honey or lemon overpowered the other flavor. I didn't have plain yogurt so I substituted with vanilla yogurt which may have toned down both flavors. I didn't get anywhere close to 3 dozen out of this recipe though. I only got 28 cookies with a small cookie scoop. Frosting was very sweet and ehanced the lemon flavor of the cookie. Will bake again!
I was looking for a great home made lemon cookie to replace the ones I love to buy for $7 a pound at a local store. These are better in my opinion as they have healthier ingredients and a strong lemon taste. Easy and Yummy!
Great cookies! Soft and lemony with a hint of honey. The icing makes the cookie...so don't skip it! I used a silpat for baking and just stirred the lemon peel into the icing rather than sprinkling on top. The kids and I loved them. Made a great snack with a glass of iced tea for me and lemonade for them. Thanks, KC, for another great recipe!