This tangy and sweet beverage is found all over Egypt, but is especially popular with street vendors. From Party By the Pyramids. NOTES: Dried hibiscus flowers can be found at specialty food stores and at Latin and Caribbean markets, where they are called sorrel or flor de Jamaica.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water and hibiscus flowers and bring to a boil.
- Simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Pour the drink into a medium bowl. Fill a larger bowl with ice water and set the smaller bowl inside.
- Stir the drink occasionally until chilled, about 10 minutes. Strain into a pitcher and serve in tall glasses over ice.