Prep 30 mins
Cook 52 hrs 40 mins
These have a "kick" to them.
- 7 lbs green tomatoes, washed and sliced very thin
- 2 gallons ice water
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 5 lbs sugar
- 3 pints white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 3 slices gingerroot
- 5 -6 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon celery seed
- Use plastic or glass to make these in, don't use metal bowls etc.
- Soak tomatoes for 24 hours in the ice water and lime.
- After the 24 hours, change the water and rinse tomatoes, continue to soak and rinse every 1/2 hour for 4 hours.
- In a large pot mix sugar and vinegar.
- bring this mixture to a boil and add tomatoes.
- make a spice bag with cheese cloth and put spices in this.
- add spice bag to the mixture.
- Take off heat and let soak overnight (I refrigerate after it is cool).
- Return to stove and bring to boil for 30 minutes.
- "stack"tomatoes in jars.
- pour syrup over.
- wipe rim of jar and put lid on.
- water bath for 10 minutes.