Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
All the caffeine of espresso with the flavor of chai :) Use 2 tea bags for an extra strong flavor. I like to top with whipped cream and sprinkled cinnamon or drizzled honey. Tip: If you don't have an espresso machine and use regular strength coffee, you can vary the recipe as follows: 1) brew coffee; 2) place tea bags & sugar in hot coffee to soak and place in the refrigerator to chill; 3) mix with half n half.
- 1-2 chai tea teabags
- 29.58 ml ground coffee
- 9.85-14.78 ml sugar or 9.85-14.78 ml honey
- 4-5 ice cubes
- 141.74-226.79 g 2% low-fat milk (at least 2% milkfat!)
- Cut open the tea bags and place in the bottom of the filter cup for your espresso machine.
- Place the coffee on top of the tea leaves (straining the espresso over the chai gives it the strongest flavor).
- Brew the espresso and mix in the sugar while it is still hot.
- Pour into a 12 ounce glass and quickly stir in 4-5 ice cubes until the side of the glass feels chilled.
- Fill to the top with milk.
I made this as a hot drink. I made it in my French Press pot. I put the loose tea in the pot with the ground coffee and poured in enough boiling water to fill pot. I let it steep 4 minutes before "pressing". I "steamed" the milk in my microwave frother, and used honey to sweeten. Looking forward to making this iced when the weather gets warmer. Made for Spring 2011 PAC game.
This is delish. At first sip I was *certain* that I didn't like it but I kept drinking anyways lol! I guess it took my tastebuds a few seconds to decide that chai and coffee together is a good not bad thing. I drank it right up and wished that I had more. I'm definitely going to make this again!
I've been looking for a good Chai Latte recipe and this was the best! I imagine it is just as great cold and will try that next time :o) One change I did make was instead of sugar or honey I used vanilla syrup.