Recipe by V'nut-Beyond Redemption
A great festive season present. From The Best of Country Cooking 1999. Don't they look gorgeous? Hubby loves it. I added a wee bit of cinnamon with the sugar and almonds.
Top Review by Mirj
I made this into a project with my youngest yesterday. Big mistake! These were so yummy, first we burned our mouths tasting the fresh clusters (pay attention to Step 7: Cool). Then we ate the whole thing within minutes. Then we had to go to the supermarket to get another batch of almonds. Then we ate the whole thing again. This recipe is a huge mistake I'm going to make over and over again...sigh.... V-Nut, I love you and hate you at the same time for introducing me to this recipe. Can't wait to try it on cashews!
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 1⁄2 cups unblanched whole almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add sugar and almonds and cinnamon if using.
- Stir constantly for around 10 minutes or till the sugar turns golden brown.
- (I kept stirring till the nuts were coated and the sugar was almost all dissolved: about 15 mins but I used the smallest gas burner) Remove from heat.
- Add extract.
- Immediately drop in clusters or separately nuts on greased baking pan.