Recipe by GREG IN SAN DIEGO
This recipe, originally from Chef Diane Unger, is unique in that contains no raw eggs, which used to be a standard ingredient for the pie. Since raw eggs are now a "no-no'" here's a tested way to produce a lime pie as bright and custard-like as the original, without using eggs. Garnish with a thinly sliced fresh lime "wheel" and wait for your guests to be "wowed." A great ending for a meal year around, but particularly during the warm summer months. Note: Do not be tempted to use bottled lime juice, which lacks depth of flavor. Also, use the larger Persian Limes...not the true Key Limes. It would take about 40 of the little Key Limes to yield a cup of juice!
Top Review by micook
I've never made any other key lime pie, and I don't plan to- this is a great recipe. I've made it with key limes and regular limes, and it's good both ways, so I don't fuss with the tiny little key limes any more.
- 8 whole graham crackers, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lime zest
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1⁄3 cup vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (from 6 to 8 limes)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- For the crust:.
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse crackers and sugar in food processor until finely ground.
- Add melted butter in steady stream, while pulsing, until crumbs resemble damp sand.
- Using bottom of dry measuring cup, press crumbs firmly into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
- Bake until fragrant and browned around edges, 12 to 14 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- For the filling:.
- Process sugar and zest in food processor until sugar turns bright green, about 30 seconds.
- Add cream cheese and process until combined, about 30 seconds.
- Add condensed milk and pudding mix and process until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Scrape down sides of bowl.
- Stir gelatin and 2 tablespoons lime juice in small bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 15 seconds.
- Stir until dissolved.
- With machine running, pour gelatin mixture, remaining lime juice and vanilla through feed tube and mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
- Pour filling into cooled crust, cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- To serve, let pie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing and garnishing.