1/1 Photo of Icebox Key Lime Pie
3 hrs 40 mins
GREG IN SAN DIEGO's Note:
This recipe, originally from Chef Diane Unger, is unique in that contains no raw eggs, which used to be a standard ingredient for the pie. Since raw eggs are now a "no-no'" here's a tested way to produce a lime pie as bright and custard-like as the original, without using eggs. Garnish with a thinly sliced fresh lime "wheel" and wait for your guests to be "wowed." A great ending for a meal year around, but particularly during the warm summer months. Note: Do not be tempted to use bottled lime juice, which lacks depth of flavor. Also, use the larger Persian Limes...not the true Key Limes. It would take about 40 of the little Key Limes to yield a cup of juice!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 whole graham crackers, broken into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1For the crust:.
- 2Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 3Pulse crackers and sugar in food processor until finely ground.
- 4Add melted butter in steady stream, while pulsing, until crumbs resemble damp sand.
- 5Using bottom of dry measuring cup, press crumbs firmly into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate.
- 6Bake until fragrant and browned around edges, 12 to 14 minutes.
- 7Cool completely.
- 8For the filling:.
- 9Process sugar and zest in food processor until sugar turns bright green, about 30 seconds.
- 10Add cream cheese and process until combined, about 30 seconds.
- 11Add condensed milk and pudding mix and process until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- 12Scrape down sides of bowl.
- 13Stir gelatin and 2 tablespoons lime juice in small bowl.
- 14Heat in microwave for 15 seconds.
- 15Stir until dissolved.
- 16With machine running, pour gelatin mixture, remaining lime juice and vanilla through feed tube and mix until thoroughly combined, about 30 seconds.
- 17Pour filling into cooled crust, cover with plastic and refrigerate at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.
- 18To serve, let pie sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing and garnishing.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Icebox Key Lime Pie
Serving Size: 1 (107 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 396.3
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 67.1 mg
- Sodium 190.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 40.0 g
- Protein 6.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vanilla instant pudding mix