1/1 Photo of Icebox Dessert
15 hrs 20 mins
Roxygirl in Colorado's Note:
At every holiday dinner my dad always asks, "Are we having icebox dessert or Graham Cracker Pie?" His mom made these for him while growing up and continues to be his favorite. My sister always chuckles and says, "No, dad, we're having pumpkin pie (Thanksgiving) and that's that. The funny thing is that my husband and son have started asking the same question, so now that I moved back to the area, I make one of them for every holiday. After years of being told, "No" my dad always has a startled but pleased look when I answer, "Yes!" Why not give people what they want. This dessert can be made a few days in advance and sets up firm. This recipe is for vanilla lovers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, separated (the egg yolks for the custard, the whites to fold in at end)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (1 envelope)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped (I've only made this dessert with fresh)
- 1Mix up crumbs, butter, and brown sugar.
- 2Reserve 1/4 of crumbs (to go on top).
- 3Put rest of crumbs in 8 or 9 (sprayed with Pam) inch pan (it will be thicker in the 8 inch pan).
- 4Mix the two egg yolks, 1/2 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup milk, dash salt (I mix it in my mini-blender so I don't have any lumps).
- 5Cook mixture in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- 6Stir constantly until the mixture is thick enough to coat a spoon (doesn't take too long so don't let it get too thick or it will be difficult to fold into the whipped cream/egg whites).
- 7Take off heat.
- 8Add the vanilla, envelope of gelatin (that's been dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water) and let cool.
- 9(If you're in a hurry, put the mixture in a stainless steel bowl and set it over a bowl of ice water and it will chill super fast).
- 10If you put it in the fridge watch it, since it will set up fast.
- 11Whip the egg whites till stiff with mixer.
- 12If by chance you've let it set up too hard, pop it in the micro and it will soften up and it will turn out fine Fold in the cup of whipped cream (fresh!) and fluffy whipped egg whites (again, don't whip either too stiff or they'll be difficult to fold in smoothly).
- 13Gently spread your custard mixture over your prepared graham crackers in the pan.
- 14Sprinkle reserved graham crackers on top.
- 15Chill for a couple of hours.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Icebox Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (95 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 303.0
- Calories from Fat 176
- Total Fat 19.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 104.6 mg
- Sodium 159.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 22.5 g
- Protein 3.8 g