Prep 24 hrs
Cook 8 mins
An old-fashioned treat that first gained popularity in the 1940s, I believe. Prep time includes overnight chilling time.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped candied cherries
- 3 tablespoons chopped nuts
- In bowl, cream butter with sugar until light; then add vanilla and egg, mixing well.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir this mixture into the butter mixture.
- Stir in cherries and nuts.
- Shape into a 2-inch diameter roll; wrap with plastic wrap or wax paper and chill thoroughly, overnight if you wish.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Cut chilled cookie dough into 1/4-inch slices and place on a lightly-greased cookie sheet, leaving a little bit of room between each cookie.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until almost firm.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
this is so good!!!!!!!!!!