Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
this takes only 15 minutes to do, chilling time takes 3 - 4 hours, in the freezer.
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 16 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of, of
- 4 whole eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons powdered unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄3 cup whipping cream, whipped
- 1 (8 ounce) candrained pineapple rings
- 5 maraschino cherries
- Grease 8 inch spring form pan.
- Melt butter in a small pot over low heat.
- Stir in vanilla crumbs and ginger.
- Press into greased pan.
- If desired you can bake the crust 350 degrees F for 12 minutes.
- just to set this is optional.
- Beat cream cheese, lemon peel, lemon juice, egg yolks, with 1/3 cup of sugar until smooth.
- Combine the gelatin powder and cold water in a sauce pot, simmer until dissolved completely.
- Stir dissolved gelatin into the cream cheese beaten mixture.
- Fold the whipped cream also now into the cheese/gelatin mixture.
- Beat the 4 egg whites with the remaining sugar until soft peaks form.
- Fold stiff whites into the gelatin/cheese/cream mixture.
- Spoon filling into the prepared crust.
- Freeze for 4 hours.
- Garnish with pineapple rings and cherries if desired.