Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Simple ingredients, not a lot of fuss....tastes great!
- 354.88 ml mayonnaise
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 14.79 ml fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 4.92 ml hot pepper sauce
- 236.59 ml coarsely crumbled blue cheese
- buttermilk (optional)
- 226.79 g thick-cut bacon, cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cut into 6 wedges, each with some core attached
- 1 red onion, very thinly sliced
- Mix first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Add blue cheese and stir until well blended.
- If too thick, thin with buttermilk by tablespoonfuls to desired consistency.
- (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until golden brown and beginning to crisp.
- Arrange lettuce on plates.
- Spoon dressing over.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer warm bacon from skillet onto salads, dividing equally.
- Garnish with red onion.
Thank you for sharing a twist on the usual salad... I remember eating iceberg lettuce all the time when I was younger. I really miss that crisp, fresh taste that only iceberg can provide. It was the perfect base for this rich blue cheese dressing. I loved the tang the lemon juice gave, but my BF thought it was a little too much. I added a little more hot sauce than specified b/c I like it spicy... but it was still not too hot for my BF. I too forgot to garnish with the red onion, but I don't think it could have been any better! I served it on chilled plates with some homemade sourdough croutons scattered along side... Next time I make this however, I think I will cut down on some of the mayo and use a little more buttermilk... but that is just my personal taste!
Thanks for posting this delicious salad recipe. For the dressing I used 1/2 mayo and 1/2 buttermilk as I am not too fond of mayonnaise. I also preferred to crumble the blue cheese onto the salad. Altogether it made a robustly flavoured dish. Will definitely be making this again!
Very good; the warm bacon was delightful. I bought red onions and forgot to use. Still delicious dressing.