Recipe by The Big Cheese
I first tried a salad like this in a restaurant. I think my homemade version is much better. Hat's off to Luby for the outstanding recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing which is the only one I will eat now. I copied the recipe verbatim, and included all steps in making the dressing straight from Luby's recipe, #55514. This is my favorite salad in the summertime, reminds me of a BLT without the bread.
Top Review by Chris from Kansas
I made this last night for dinner for guests and it turned out really good. I added green onions and sugared pecans for toppings. I also used low-fat mayo and sour cream. I thinned the dressing quite a bit with milk to make it more like dressing consistency vs. dip. I put the dressing ingredients in my Magic Bullet and blended real well and stored overnight before serving. The flavor was just right. Thanks for posting!
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped with seeds removed
- 8 ounces crumbed blue cheese
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the dressing, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk, mixing well.
- Add remaining ingredients mixing thoroughly.
- Must refrigerate for 24 hours before serving for best flavor.
- For the salad assembly, divide iceberg lettuce head into four equal sections, cutting down towards the stem.
- Place on plates, topping liberally with the blue cheese dressing, crumbled bacon, chopped tomato and crumbled blue cheese.
- Serve nice and cold, adding salt and pepper to taste.