Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
I first tried a salad like this in a restaurant. I think my homemade version is much better. Hat's off to Luby for the outstanding recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing which is the only one I will eat now. I copied the recipe verbatim, and included all steps in making the dressing straight from Luby's recipe, #55514. This is my favorite salad in the summertime, reminds me of a BLT without the bread.
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 6 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped with seeds removed
- 8 ounces crumbed blue cheese
- salt and pepper
- To make the dressing, combine mayonnaise, sour cream and buttermilk, mixing well.
- Add remaining ingredients mixing thoroughly.
- Must refrigerate for 24 hours before serving for best flavor.
- For the salad assembly, divide iceberg lettuce head into four equal sections, cutting down towards the stem.
- Place on plates, topping liberally with the blue cheese dressing, crumbled bacon, chopped tomato and crumbled blue cheese.
- Serve nice and cold, adding salt and pepper to taste.
I made this last night for dinner for guests and it turned out really good. I added green onions and sugared pecans for toppings. I also used low-fat mayo and sour cream. I thinned the dressing quite a bit with milk to make it more like dressing consistency vs. dip. I put the dressing ingredients in my Magic Bullet and blended real well and stored overnight before serving. The flavor was just right. Thanks for posting!
This is one of the best blue cheese dressing recipes I've ever tried. My whole family loved it. I eased up on the onion a bit because my husband hates onions.
Delicious...this is one of my favorite salads to order when I am out and you are right that is THE BEST blue cheese dressing recipe. I made it in my food processor by putting in the garlic and onion first to ensure they minced, then adding all of the liquids, then all of the spices. I put the blue cheese in but next time I will add that after because it got too chopped up and I like it with bigger chunks. Thank you so much for the recipe!