Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
This recipe reminds me of childhood. It's extremely retro, with an optional update. Definitely not for the nutrition-conscious. Did you know iceberg lettuce has the poorest nutritional content of all lettuces? The lettuce certainly won't boost your vitamin A or C levels, or fatten you up but the dressing sure will! This was in today's NY Times, an article about "loser lettuces" (iceberg and romaine) by Mark Bittman, the Minimalist. I would take exception with calling romaine a loser lettuce; unlike iceberg it has lots of nutrition. Then again, sometimes you just can't beat the crunchy cold of iceberg. I made this last night and it was just as I remembered it :)
- 1 cup yogurt, preferably whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (or more)
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, refrigerated, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts (optional) or 1⁄2 cup pecans (optional) or 1⁄2 cup walnuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash yogurt with blue cheese, lemon juice, a pinch of salt and a grinding or two of pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding more lemon juice if necessary.
- Place each wedge of iceberg lettuce on a plate, drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with nuts if using.