Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Martha Stewart October 2001.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 small brioche bread, cut into 3/4 in cubes
- 1 1⁄2 pints vanilla ice cream
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside. In a medium saucepan over med-high heat,combine butter, sugar and water.
- Stir until sugar is dissolved about 2 minutes.
- Allow sugar mixture to bowl and carmelize until the syrup is a medium amber color, about 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cubes and stir until coated.
- When all croutons are coated, transfer to baking sheet.
- Quickly spread croutons so they are not touching.
- Let cool.
- To serve, fill four serving dishes with ice cream, garnish with caramel croutons.