Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Cool and smooth. From Taste of Home. Cooking time includes chilling time.
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) packagecrushed vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 2 quarts vanilla ice cream or 2 quarts flavor of your choice ice cream, softened
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt chocoate chips with milk and salt; cook and stir until thickened, about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Combine wafer crumbs and butter; set aside 1 cup.
- Press remaining crumbs intoa greased 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Chill for 10-15 minutes.
- Pour chocolate over crumbs.
- Cover and freeze 20-25 minutes or until firm.
- Spread the ice cream over chocolate.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Freeze at least 2 hours before serving.
This was very good. I added some chopped peanuts to the crumb mixture and it added a nice flavor. I think next time I'll do half semi-sweet and half milk chocolate for the chocolate sauce just to cut down on the richness a little bit.
This was super good ! I didn't realize it until well into the recipe that my grandma used to make this, except she put it in a pie pan and left the wafers whole. This dessert brought back such good memories. Thanks carolinafan !