Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This whimsical dessert is a perfect summertime treat. From the R.S.V.P. section of Bon Appetit, July 2004.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 quart good quality vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate (unsweetened) or 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped (I use Valrhona)
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Spray 15X10X1 inch baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- Line pan with parchment paper and spray paper with nonstick spray.
- Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend.
- Using electric mixer, beat sugar and oil in another large bowl to blend; beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with 3/4 cup warm water in 2 additions.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 24 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on rack.
- Line another baking sheet with plastic wrap.
- Run small sharp knife around cake to loosen.
- Invert cake onto rack.
- Peel parchment off cake.
- Cut cake crosswise in half.
- Place 1 cake half on prepared sheet.
- Spread ice cram evenly over cake.
- Top with second half of cake.
- Wrap cake in plastic and transfer to freezer.
- Freeze until cake and ice cream harden, about 4 hours.
- (can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen).
- Stir bittersweet chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water until melted and smooth.
- Add 1/2 cup boiling water; stir until smooth.
- Add butter; stir until smooth.
- Cut cake into 12 ice cream sandwiches.
- Serve sandwiches with warm chocolate sauce for dipping.