4 hrs 24 mins
This whimsical dessert is a perfect summertime treat. From the R.S.V.P. section of Bon Appetit, July 2004.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 quart good quality vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1 lb bittersweet chocolate (unsweetened) or 1 lb semisweet chocolate, chopped (I use Valrhona)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1Preheat oven to 325*F.
- 2Spray 15X10X1 inch baking sheet with nonstick spray.
- 3Line pan with parchment paper and spray paper with nonstick spray.
- 4Whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl to blend.
- 5Using electric mixer, beat sugar and oil in another large bowl to blend; beat in eggs, one at a time.
- 6Beat in dry ingredients in 3 additions alternately with 3/4 cup warm water in 2 additions.
- 7Pour batter into prepared pan; spread evenly.
- 8Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 24 minutes.
- 9Cool cake in pan on rack.
- 10Line another baking sheet with plastic wrap.
- 11Run small sharp knife around cake to loosen.
- 12Invert cake onto rack.
- 13Peel parchment off cake.
- 14Cut cake crosswise in half.
- 15Place 1 cake half on prepared sheet.
- 16Spread ice cram evenly over cake.
- 17Top with second half of cake.
- 18Wrap cake in plastic and transfer to freezer.
- 19Freeze until cake and ice cream harden, about 4 hours.
- 20(can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen).
- 21Stir bittersweet chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water until melted and smooth.
- 22Add 1/2 cup boiling water; stir until smooth.
- 23Add butter; stir until smooth.
- 24Cut cake into 12 ice cream sandwiches.
- 25Serve sandwiches with warm chocolate sauce for dipping.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ice Cream Sandwiches With Chocolate Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 359.4
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 66.5 mg
- Sodium 232.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 35.3 g
- Protein 5.1 g