Prep 24 hrs
Cook 35 mins
A summer time (or anytime) treat, following the recipe below or using your favorite brownie recipe preparing it as below for thin brownie wafers for the ice cream treats. Make these one day ahead, as there is prep time and freezing in stages. For these special ice cream sandwiches use home made ice cream or excellent store bought ice cream. Recipe source: Chocolate Obsession.
For the brownie cakes
- 2 1⁄2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 8 tablespoons butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
For the filling
- 1 quart softened vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- On two 8x12-inch sheet pans, put vegetable oil in the four corners, then line the pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a double boiler (or an improvised one with two pans one on top of another - with simmering water in the bottom pan--or use a bowl on top of simmering pot), put the chocolate and butter in the top pan over simmering water. Heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate and butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Lift the top pan (or bowl) from the bottom and set aside.
- In a medium bowl sift flour and salt together.
- In a small bowl whisk together the eggs and vanilla. Whisk in sugar.
- Whisk egg/sugar mixture into the chocolate. Stir in flour.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared pans, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or when tested done with toothpick test, rotating pans halfway through baking time. Remove from oven.
- Immediately slide the cakes (with parchment paper) onto wire racks to cool.
- To assemble sandwiches:.
- Return baked cakes to one of the pans stacking them with parchment paper between the two layers and freeze for 45 minutes.
- Line the bottom of an 8x12-inch pan with parchment paper.
- Remove cakes from freezer.
- Place one cake, paper side up, on the pan and remove paper from cake. Spread with ice cream, to within 1/4 inch from the sides of the cake.
- Remove paper from second cake. Place cake, top side up, on a cookie sheet and then slide cake onto the ice cream and lightly press cake to adhere to the ice cream.
- Cover pan with plastic wrap and freeze until ice cream is solid (at least 6 hours).
- Remove pan from freezer and remove plastic wrap.
- On a work surface, invert cake and remove parchment paper.
- Using a large, sharp knife, trim edges of the cake and then using a ruler (or free form) cut into 12 pieces (each approximately 3-inches square). You will need to dip knife in hot water and wipe it dry between cuts.
- Wrap sandwiches in plastic wrap and freeze until serving.
Ellie, my family loved these! I used your recipe for the brownie, but I ran out of kosher salt so I used the same amount of regular salt, thanks...Kitten:)