Recipe by Cookin-jo
The method and proportions make this recipe a bit different. Allowing the salted vegetables to sit for a few hours draws out the water and allows the cucumbers to stay crisp and crunchy, just how we like them. The pickled cucumbers will keep in the fridge at least a month or two, but I can't say exactly how long.....they never last that long!!! Recipe from my late Mother-in-Law.
- 8 -10 large cucumbers (or enough to almost fill a 4 litre ice cream pail or fill a gallon container about 3/4)
- 1 -2 cup onion, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced (I always omit this) (optional)
- 1 -2 cup green bell peppers, sliced (or a combination , use whichever you like) or 1 -2 cup red bell pepper (or a combination , use whichever you like)
- 1 tablespoon salt
For the brine
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel and slice cucumbers thinly, filling ice cream pail as you go to 3/4 full.
- Mix with the additional vegetables and stir in salt, distributing well.
- Cover and let stand 2 - 4 hours on counter.
- Drain off the liquid (I like to rinse and drain again to remove some of the salt).
- In ice cream pail combine brine ingredients and stir well. Do not worry if the sugar doesn't dissolve completely - it will on its own.
- Mix in cucumbers and other vegetables, cover, and refrigerate.
- The next day stir again.
- Note: The brine won't cover the cucumbers completely at first so stir once a day. The cucumbers will release additional liquid over time.
- Cooking time is standing time.