Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
I don't remember where I got this recipe; it might have been from the box of rock salt. Anyway, it's very rich and no raw eggs. Cook time listed is approximate freezing time, will vary with your machine.
- 1 (14 ounce) caneagle brand sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped
- In a large bowl combine ingredients, mix well.
- Pour into ice cream freezer container.
- Freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- Freeze leftovers.
- FRUIT ICE CREAM:.
- Reduce half-n-half to 1 cup.
- Add 1 cup pureed or mashed fruit (bananas, peaches, strawberries, etc.) and a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- Proceed as above.
First time I made this recipe it was perfect!! Then the last two times it tasted like there is some kind of a chemical taste. I used 2 tablespoons of Vanilla. Is that too much? I had to dump it both times.
Made this for a camping trip over this Memorial weekend. It was wonderful !!! I made 1 recipe of the Vanilla as directed, and was afraid it would not be enough. Someone else had an ice cream freezer and I had some strawberries so we made that according to the directions. Everyone raved about both flavors!!! Thanks so much for sharing.. It will be my go to recipe for sure!!!!
This was super easy and tasted better than what you can buy in the store. I added 2 cups of fresh strawberries and 6 Orio cookies, both pulsed in the food processor for a few seconds. I was worried the ice cream wouldn't be sweet enough with no sugar added in the recipe, but the sweetened condensed milk provided enough sweetness. The ice cream was creamy and came out of my machine thicker than other recipes I've tried. After 90 minutes in the freezer it was perfect! If your on the fence about recipes, stop here. You won't be disappointed.