Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Not ice cream as such but a tasty frozen dessert that you can pretty much add whatever you like to! This is how we eat it (a la Jamie Oliver), but it's a really versatile recipe that you can do all sorts with. If the below doesn't sound like your first choice of filling then omit the almonds and swap the maltesers for white toblerone for a yummy treat, or just use the egg/sugar/cream base and load it up with broken After Eight mints and dark chocolate chips. However you like it, this is SO good! Serve alone or (for an even more calorific treat) with waffles.
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pint double cream
- 1⁄2 cup flaked toasted almond
- 3 cups Maltesers (or just a large packet will do)
- 2 meringue nests
- 2 (290 g) cans raspberries (drained. Fresh from the punnet works as well)
- Bash the Maltesers up into pieces with a rolling pin (you can do it in the packet or in a plastic sandwich bag. They don't have to be crushed finely, just bashed about a bit) and break the meringue nests up.
- Separate the eggs, putting the yolks in one bowl and the whites in the other. Whisk the whites until the form still peaks and whisk the yolks with the sugar until they are light and fluffy.
- In a third bowl (sorry - lots of washing up on this one), whip the cream until it is soft and then fold everything in together - the almonds, Maltesers, meringue, raspberries, egg whites and egg yolks.
- Put into a suitable freezer-friendly container and freeze for about 2 hours until semi-frozen.