Perfectionist cook's Note:
I found this on a leaflet from a large supermarket chain in Melbourne and it looked wonderful. It is the perfect dessert for a summer dinner party as it looks fabulous and can be made ahead and the ice-cream added at the very end. You can even make this in individual tart cases if you are so inclined or with different flavoured ice-creams and toppings. Edited: I have tweaked this recipe a bit after making it and discovering some problems with the recipe instructions as they were given.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Process biscuits and half the pecans in food processor to form fine crumbs.
- 2Stir in butter and press into a deep 20cm fluted pan with removable base. Refrigerate.
- 3Add 1/4 cup milk to the combined custard powder and caster sugar to form a smooth paste.
- 4Stir in the remaining milk and microwave on HIGH (100% 750W) for 3 minutes.
- 5Whisk well and return to microwave for a further 1 1/2 minutes. Allow to cool until warm, placing a piece of plastic wrap on the top to prevent a skin forming.
- 6Alternately, stir mixture in a saucepan until it thickens to the desired consistency. I personally had trouble using the microwave to get the custard thick enough so experiment with your microwave until you get the desired results. The custard should be quite thick.
- 7Pour into pie shell and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 8Remove pie carefully from pan and place on serving plate.
- 9Scoop ice-cream onto custard layer and drizzle with ice-cream topping.
- 10Sprinkle with remaining chopped pecans or walnuts.
- 11Serve immediately but be careful serving the tart as it can fall apart if you haven't made the biscuit base even enough.
- 12Note: You do need a very soft biscuit for the base, shortbread is rich but slices more easily so don't substitute other biscuits. Also if you don't like nuts, just leave then out entirely, my kids don't like walnuts and picked out the ice cream with the 'yukky' bits.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ice-Cream-Custard Tart
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 904.1
- Calories from Fat 563
- Total Fat 62.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 122.4 mg
- Sodium 448.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 34.7 g
- Protein 11.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: