Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A change from the real thing. Can be made a way ahead of time.
- 1⁄3 cup toasted almond, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup mixed peel
- 1⁄2 cup raisins, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sultana
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup rum
- 1 liter vanilla ice cream
- 1⁄2 cup glace cherries, quartered (red & green)
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 liter chocolate ice cream
- Mix the almonds, peel, raisins, currants and rum in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and leave overnight. Chill a 2 litre pudding basin in the freezer.
- Soften the vanilla ice cream slightly and mix in the glace cherries.
- Working quickly, spread the ice cream around the inside of the chilled basin, spreading it evenly to cover the base and side. Return the basin to the freezer and leave overnight. Check the ice cream a couple of times and spread it evenly to the top.
- Next Day:- Mix the spices and chocolate ice cream with the fruit mixture. Spoon it into the centre of the pudding basin and smooth the top.
- Freeze overnight, or until very firm.
- Turn the pudding out onto a chilled plate, decorate and leave to stand 5 minutes.
- Cut into wedges to serve. Cheers, Doreen Doreen Randal, Wanganui.
- New Zealand.