Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A friend at church made this and I had to have the recipe. This is so simple and yet so yummy! My kids request this for b-days! I hope you like it as much as we do.
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 (10 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces vanilla wafers
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 gallon ice cream (we use vanilla, softened)
- Grease 13x9 pan.
- Crush vanilla wafers, mix with melted butter (reserve 1 Cup for topping).
- Press cookie crumbs in greased pan.
- Melt chocolate chips and combine evap. milk and salt.
- Pour over crust, freeze until firm (about 20 min.).
- Spread softened ice cream over chocolate layer, top with remaining cookie crumbs.
- Freeze until firm.
I had trouble with my chocolate layer firming up, it took closer to 1 hour instead of the 20 minutes stated in the recipe. In the meantime my ice cream was softening and softening and softening. I finally just spooned it over the slightly solid chocolate layer and froze for 7-8 hours. It was good but not quite like an ice cream cake for me.
I have this same recipe, just in pie form, and the vanilla wafers are whole. This is one of my all time favorite frozen desserts !