Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
This was published in the feb 2009 issue of Family Circle. Try to use good quality ice cream, when I make this I usually use vanilla instead of mint. The freeze time is not included in the prep time; I've gotten away with only freezing for 2 hours.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 3 cups mint chip ice cream, softened
- chocolate syrup, for serving
- Heat oven to 350°F Coat a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with waxed paper. Spray paper.
- Stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, beat eggs with an electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes, until very light yellow. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until smooth. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Fold flour mixture into egg mixture until no lumps remain. Pour into prepared pan, spreading level. Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Dust a clean kitchen towel with confectioners' sugar. Turn cake out onto towel. Roll up towel and cake from short end; cool completely.
- Unroll; spread with softened ice cream to within 1 inch of edges. Reroll cake without towel; wrap in plastic wrap. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight. If frozen overnight, let stand at room temperature 20 minutes before serving. To serve, carefully remove plastic wrap and drizzle cake with chocolate syrup.
Easy recipe, bakes in 10-12 minutes, and comes very close to the ice cream cake roll I used to buy but can't find anymore. Thank you!
This is a great cake roll I filled mine with Peppermint Stick ice cream soooo good. Will be making this for dessert for Christmas Eve. Thanks for a easy and delicious recipe
This recipe is easy to follow, the texture of the cake was just right. It is also perfect for any variation of ice cream alternatives. I used peanut butter ice cream, and a caramel drizzle. My guests loved it.