Recipe by Karen From Colorado
A frozen treat for those chocolate lovers in your house. Or try the variations for other taste sensations.
Top Review by Ty's Kitchen
Used a tad less all purpose flour instead of cake flour and dusted with icing sugar. For a filling I used whipped cream and raspberries. Awesome. I would like to try it with ice cream BUT I don't think my family will let me!
- 78.07 ml cake flour
- 78.07 ml unsweetened cocoa powder
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 2.46 ml baking soda
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 1.62 ml salt
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 236.59 ml sugar, divided
- powdered sugar
- 226.79 g ice cream, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan with waxed paper.
- Grease and flour lined pan; tap out excess flour.
- Combine flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix well.
- In a separate bowl, using an electric mixer set on medium speed, beat yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until fluffy.
- In a small bowl, and using clean beaters, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff, but not dry, peaks form.
- Fold 1/3 of the beaten egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Alternately fold in remaining whites and flour mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out lean, about 15 minutes.
- Dust a clean cloth with remaining sugar.
- Turn cake out onto the prepared cloth.
- Remove waxed paper.
- Trim the cakes edges.
- Starting with the long side, tightly roll up the cake with the cloth.
- Transfer cake, seam side down to a wire rack to cool.
- Unroll cake and remove cloth.
- Spread softened ice cream over cake to within 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Re-roll cake.
- Wrap cake well and freeze seam side down until firm.
- Dust with powdered sugar before slicing and serving.
- Variations: 1 8 oz container of whipped topping instead of ice cream.
- Add fresh fruit or chocolate chips to whipped topping before adding it to the cake.
- Add cooled melted chocolate and instant coffee granules to the whipped topping before adding to the cake.
- Serve sliced cake in a puddle of chocolate sauce.