Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
There's really no ice cream in this cake, but with the cream and the freezing time, it gets the consistency of ice cream after overnight chilling. This makes a great birthday cake.
- 1 cup butter
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Grease a 9-inch round pan, and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt chocolate over simmering water in a double boiler or small saucepan.
- Mix yolks, butter and sugar together with a mixer until lightly and fluffy.
- Pour in the melted chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Whip eggs whites with remaining 1/2 cup sugar.
- Fold into chocolate mixture.
- Place half the mixture in the fridge.
- Add walnuts to the other half, mix in breadcrumbs and baking powder.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove cake from oven and chill.
- Pour remaining chocolate mixture over cake, and place in freezer for approximately 2 hours.
- Whip the heavy cream with sugar, and cover the cake.
- Keep in fridge.