Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I love having ice cream with my cake and this combines them both into a wonderful all in one dessert
- 1⁄2 gallon ice cream or 1⁄2 gallon sorbet
- 1 (3 ounce) packagefavorite cake mix
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- Allow the ice cream/sorbet to soften slightly.
- Line a 9 inch round cake pan with plastic wrap.
- Scoop ice cream into the round cake pan, make even across the top.
- Cover, return to freezer for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease two 9 inch round cake pans.
- Blend the dry cake mixes, egg white and water in a large bowl.
- Beat till smooth.
- Divide batter equally in to prepared pans.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or till top springs back.
- Cool 10 minutes; Invert onto wire racks.
- Cool completely.
- Assemble: Place 1 cake on a cake plate.
- Unwrap ice cream/sorbet, place on top of cake.
- Then place the 2nd cake on top of the layers.
- Spread whipped topping over entire cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap (spray plastic wrap with cooking spray to prevent sticking). Return to freezer till ready to serve.
- Garnish as desired.
Wonderful cake! This is better than store bought ice cream cakes and so much tastier! Much to my dismay, my daughter wanted a white cake with vanilla ice cream and plain whipped cream frosting. I would have chosen to really liven it up, but it WAS her birthday, so I made it as she wanted. It was very easy and turned out great! Mine served 8 so far and there is still half left! She was so pleased with it and so was I. I didn't read all the directions so made the cake according to the box instructions. Still fabulous, but if I'd followed the directions it would have been healthier.
My box of cake mix was 18.9 oz, otherwise followed recipe. I did add a layer of crushed Famous Chocolate Wafers mixed with melted butter.