This is a unique birthday "cake" molded in a bowl, with a beautiful presentation. I rushed to get this recipe in by memory for a 'zaar chef who requested it so if there is anything that needs to be corrected, please let me know. The directions seem long but it really is very simple, and can be done in so many ways. For lower fat, use frozen yogurt or ice milk & sorbet/sherbet. Ideally, this should be made the evening before it is to be served.
My Private Note
LARGE B ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 1/2 gallon) container of different flavor ice cream (I use one vanilla and one Moose Tracks because I like the mini peanut butter cups and swirls of choc)
- 1 (16 ounce) box Oreo cookie crumbs, mixed with
- 1 cup melted butter or 1 cup margarine, and
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus
- 1/2 sugar (1/4 cup for each batch of whipped cream)
- 2 (1 quart) cartons heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup diced maraschino cherry
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, for 1 st batch of whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, for 2 nd batch of whipped cream
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1Take one carton of ice cream out so it will soften.
- 2Using a large metal mixing bowl as the mold, lightly spray it with cooking spray to help when it's time to unmold.
- 3For the first layer, spread the entire half gallon of ice cream evenly all over the inside of the bowl.
- 4Pat one third of your oreo cookie crumb mixture into the ice cream layer, then put the bowl in the freezer until firm (30 minutes to 1 hour).
- 5Now take out your second container of ice cream to soften while you make the whipped cream.
- 6Using one entire quart of heavy/whipping cream, add almond extract and about 1/4 cup sugar.
- 7Whip it with an electric mixer until cream turns into the whipped cream.
- 8Now melt your chocolate chips in the microwave and immediately pour the still warm chocolate into cold whipped cream in a steady stream while mixing slowly with the mixer.
- 9This will form ribbons or flakes of chocolate in the ameretto whipped cream.
- 10Toss in the chopped cherries and stir with spoon until mixed around.
- 12Spread second container of ice cream in same fashion as above& cover with another third of the oreo crumb mixture.
- 13Freeze until this layer is firm.
- 14(about 30 min-1 hour) Scoop your cherry chocolate amaretto whipped cream into the center of your bomb (this is the last"layer") make sure ice cream and amaretto cream is completely to the top of your bowl.
- 15Smooth it out and cover with plastic wrap or foil and freeze overnight.
- 16About 2 hours before serving, make your second batch of whipped cream"frosting".
- 17Whip together the cream, with 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/4 cup cocoa powder& 1/4 cup sugar.
- 18Remove bombe from freezer and unmold onto a large plate or tray.
- 19Frost it with your cocoa whipped cream and lightly sprinkle the remaining oreo crumbs all over the frosting.
- 20Put back in freezer until ready to serve.
- 21(Take it out about 10-15 minutes before serving and cut into narrow wedges or slices with a wet knife)**Now here are suggestions for other ways to do this.
- 22Layer mousse instead of the whipped cream.
- 23Add cookies/brownies/fruit/berries instead of the oreo crumb mixture.
- 24Use alternating layers of vanilla ice cream and orange sherbet until bowl is filled for a pretty"striped" slice when it is cut and it will taste like a creamsicle.
- 25BE CREATIVE!
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ice Cream Bombe Cake
Serving Size: 1 (392 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1524.1
- Calories from Fat 994
- Total Fat 110.4 g
- Saturated Fat 66.0 g
- Cholesterol 373.9 mg
- Sodium 587.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 126.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 102.7 g
- Protein 18.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: